Building a Better Brownfield: Drive Times Analysis
1) In order to run a drive time analysis we use Business Analyst within ArcMap.
2) Click the drop down arrow of Business Analyst.
3) Find and click Trade Area so the Trade Area Wizard box pops up.
4) Leave the preset on Create New Trade Area and click Next.
5) Under Popular Trade Area Techniques choose Drive Time Areas.
6) Make sure the brownfield shapefile (EPA_sitesCOMBO) is selected as the layer that contains your points and that the OBJECTID is selected for the shapefiles ID.
8) PANGEA Studios decided to create three drive times, so we want to have business analyst do this process in one go. Choose ‘3’ under the number of drive areas we want to create. We want to use minutes as our unit of distance. Typically we would remove overlap but did not for the Building a Better Brownfield project, something that can be redone in minutes. The Trade Area Wizard box should look like this:
9) Save the new Trade Area as a name that best suits the process of the drive time area analysis.
10) After processing, ArcMap has created three, six, and 12 minute drive time areas around each brownfield in our shapefile, completing our drive area analysis.